This Medifast recipe will teach you how to make a healthy dish called Cauliflower Breadsticks. These breadsticks make for a delightful side dish or a nice appetizer for a meal or dinner party.
YIELDS: 1 complete “Lean and Green” meal
- 1 cup cauliflower – raw, grated (2 greens)
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- garlic salt and Italian seasonings, to taste
- ½ cup Italian diced tomatoes (1 green)
- 1 cup shredded (4 oz.) 2% reduced fat mozzarella cheese OR three cheese blend (1 lean)
- Make a puree out of ½ cup Italian diced tomatoes using a small chopper. When done, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, egg substitute, and shredded cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Get a 9 x 13 loaf pan and put parchment paper on it. Spray the pan with Pam.
- Pour mixing bowl contents into the loaf pan about 1 and ½ inch deep. You do not have to cover the entire pan with the mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, lift the edges of the parchment and put the bread – with parchment paper – on to cookie sheet.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Use a spatula and gently lift the edges of the dough out of the parchment paper. Flip the dough and continue to bake for another 15 minutes at 450°F.
- When the dough is completely baked, take it out from the oven.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice strips through set dough and then slightly separate.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt, Italian seasonings, and 1 oz. (¼ cup) of shredded cheese.
- Put the loaf back in the oven and continue to bake at 450°F for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and transfer in a small bowl or serving plate.
- Serve the Cauliflower Breadsticks with your bowl of Italian diced tomatoes as a marinara sauce.