This is a great recipe that can have two very distinct flavors. If you are in the mood for Mexican, follow the recipe as it is listed below. If you want more of an Italian flavor, trade the taco seasoning for some basil and oregano, and use reduced fat mozzarella cheese instead of a Mexican cheese blend. One recipe, two meals!
YIELDS: 1 Serving | 1 Lean, 3 Green, 3 Condiments
- 3.75 oz. 93% fat free lean ground beef, cooked (3/4 Lean)
- 1 oz. 2% reduced fat Mexican Cheese (1/4 Lean)
- ½ cup (90 grams) cooked from frozen cauliflower, grated (1 Green)
- ½ cup Ro*Tel diced tomatoes with green chilies (1 Green)
- ½ cup (68 grams) green pepper, cooked (1 Green)
- 2 tsp. low sodium taco seasoning mix (3 Condiments)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Cut the top off of the green pepper and set aside.
- Take out the insides of the green pepper and discard.
- Boil the top and bottom of the pepper for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain water.
- Brown ground beef until done and drain excess grease.
- Take out 3.75 oz and reserve the rest for another use.
- Combine ground beef, Ro*Tel tomatoes, grated cauliflower, taco seasoning, half the cheese, and a little bit of water.
- Stir over medium heat until cheese melts and until well blended.
- Pour mixture into green pepper and sprinkle the top with the other half of cheese.
- Place top of green pepper back on and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To make sure I get the right amount of green peppers, I empty the meat mixture on a plate and chop the green pepper into pieces. Then I weigh the green pepper until I get 68 grams and reserve the rest for another recipe.
- Combine the meat mixture and green peppers together.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: For an Italian flavor, use ½ cup Italian diced tomatoes that is less than 5 grams of carbs per serving and Italian seasonings as your condiments.