How many times have you thought to yourself, “Oh, what the heck – I’m on vacation!” before plunging your fork into the most beautiful dessert you have ever seen? We get it; vacations are ideal for escaping the daily grind of everyday life – and your everyday diet. That being said, you don’t have to put your weight loss success on pause for vacation, you can still eat healthy and enjoy the luxuries of your well-deserved break. With a little extra planning (and a couple traveling tricks), you can do it!
Medifast MN’s Tips for Eating Healthy on Vacation
- When booking long distance plane/cruise tickets, take advantage of the offered dietary preferences. Most airlines or extended travel services have meal options to support diabetic/low carbohydrate meals, low fat meals, low sodium meals, kosher meals, and more. Of course, these options vary between airlines and locations, but it never hurts to check.
- Buy healthy snacks on the concourse to take on the flight with you – or bring some of your own Medifast® Meals or snacks! Avoid the readily available, empty calorie snacks (like pretzels, cookies, candy bars, and more) on the airplane by stopping by a kiosk in your concourse or packing some healthy options in your carry-on bag. Good options include fresh fruit, hummus and veggie snack packs, or small bag of pistachios. Also, avoid buying anything that is “King Size” or has more than one serving per package. If you want to save some money at the airport, bring a few Medifast bars or a couple bags of Medifast snacks, like Apple Cinnamon Crisps or Cheddar & Sour Cream Popcorn.
- Look at menus before going out to eat and decide what you will order before going to the restaurant. This tip applies outside of vacations too, but when you aren’t familiar with the restaurants near you, checking out the menus online beforehand can help you find a dining option that works best for you.
- Don’t limit yourself to food-centered activities. Yes, cruises have Happy Hour and winery tours have wine and cheese pairing classes, but there are other activities you can enjoy. Go for a walk, see a show, hike up a mountain, or go shopping. Remember, if you do find yourself at a non-food-centered activity where food is made available, you don’t have to indulge.
- Find a steakhouse. Not many restaurants can beat the benefits of a steakhouse – especially when you are in the weight loss phase of your Medifast program. A variety of beautiful grilled proteins and delicious non-starchy veggies? Sign us up! Be sure to check the menu for variety of seafood, deer, buffalo, or elk entrees for leanest options.
- Don’t forget to bring your Essential1 Probiotic & Omega-3 supplements. Studies have proven that probiotics (healthy bacteria) can help boost immunity to certain pathogens, and these supplements are perfect helpers! Our nutritional boosters can help you fight those dreaded travel bugs and colds, and you’ll also continue to get the day-to-day health benefits while you’re vacationing.
- Pack some Medifast Infusers and Drops. These are great while traveling or when you are in a restaurant. The best part is that our standard Infuser and Drops bottles only have 1.62 oz. of fluid, so you can even toss one in your carry-on (just don’t forget put it with other liquids when going through security!).
Be sure to talk with your Medifast Consultant before taking off for vacation, too. Our Consultants are full of helpful tips and tricks to keep you on your weight loss, transition, or maintenance journeys. Bon Voyage!