In honor of the Fishing Opener on Mother’s Day weekend, our registered dietitians prepared two Walleye recipes that are both delicious and Medifast approved!
- 2- 7 ounce walleye fillets
- 1 ounce chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg for bath
- Preheat broiler to high. Mix walnuts, spices and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Scramble the egg in a separate bowl. Dunk fish fillets one at a time into egg bath. Transfer fish to walnut and spice mixture. Coat fillets evenly. Place fish on a cookie sheet into oven about 6″ below the broiler. (I used the first level down from the top).
- Watch fish carefully. It will take between 5-7 minutes to cook fully. When you notice the cheese starting to brown, check fish every 30 seconds to see if it’s done. Fish will flake easily with a fork when fully cooked.
- Turn broiler off and leave fish in oven about 5 minutes. (this is optional, but will ensure it’s cooked all the way and give you a chance to finish the rest of your preparation)
Almond Crusted Walleye
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- 2 lbs. Palm-Size Fish Fillets
- 1 c. Almond Meal
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Organic Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- In a glass pie plate, mix together almond meal and spices.
- In a second glass pie plate, whisk egg.
- Rinse and pat dry fish fillets. Dredge through egg wash and then place in almond meal mix completely coating.
- Oven bake at 400°F in a glass baking dish for 20-25 minutes.